While it is the perfect elegant entrée, with its savory, aromatic lentil vegetable filling encased in layers of crisp puff pastry, this vegan recipe for Mini Curried Lentil Wellingtons is also really delicious as an appetizer or a sophisticated hand-held sandwich at a picnic or outdoor event.
Curried Lentil Filling:
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- ½ cup brown mushrooms, thinly sliced
- ½ cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup small green or brown lentils, uncooked
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 package (1 pound 1.5 ounces; 8 5×5-inch squares) puff pastry dough squares, defrosted
- Water, as needed
- 2 tablespoons plant-based milk, plain, unsweetened
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil.
- Sauté onion and garlic for 4 minutes.
- Add carrots, mushrooms, peas, curry powder, and black pepper and sauté for an additional 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add lentils and vegetable broth, stirring to combine. Cover, and let simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then remove lid and allow to simmer for another 15 minutes, until liquid is absorbed, and lentils are tender but not mushy. Adjust moisture as needed by adding water if too much is lost to evaporation during cooking. Should achieve a moist texture, with no residual liquid.
- Stir walnuts into mixture and remove from stove.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Prepare pastry by lining a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay out 8 puff pastry squares evenly over the baking sheet.
- Fill the center of each pastry square with ¼ cup of filling.
- Fold over the top edge of the pastry to line up with the bottom edge, forming a triangle.
- Using a pastry brush in a small dish of water, moisten the bottom edge of the pastry.
- Using a fork, secure the top edge to the bottom edge of the pastry by pressing with the fork around the entire edge.
- Place plant-based milk in a small dish. Dip the pastry brush into the plant-based milk and moisten the surface of the pastries with the brush.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove and enjoy!
This recipe is excellent served with this Pomegranate Mandarin Sauce.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan wellington, wellington, vegan entree