If you’re looking for an easy, vegan comfort meal-in-one, try out this classic veggie take on a Shepherd’s pie. It’s vegan and family-friendly, also.
- 5 medium (6 ounces each) potatoes, peeled, halved
- 1 ½ tablespoons dairy-free margarine
- ½ –2/3 cup plant-based milk, plain, unsweetened (i.e., soymilk)
- Salt and pepper (optional, as desired)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 medium (2 ounces each) carrots
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small (7 ounces each) zucchini, sliced
- 1 small (10 ounces) bell pepper (green, red, yellow or orange)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning (vegetarian seasoning blend)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- ½ teaspoon dried mustard
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch sea salt (optional)
- 8 ounces seasoned seitan, sliced
- 1 ½ tablespoons flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- Fresh herbs (i.e., chives, rosemary, tarragon, thyme)
- To make mashed potatoes: Fill pot with water and bring to boil. Add potatoes, cover, and cook until tender (about 30 minutes). Remove from heat, drain, and mash with a potato masher or electric mixer. Add dairy-free margarine, enough plant-based milk to make a smooth, spreadable mashed potato topping, and salt and pepper (if desired). Set aside.
- While potatoes are cooking, make stew. Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan, skillet, or sauté pan. Add carrots, onion, garlic, zucchini, and bell pepper and saute for 10 minutes. Add peas, poultry seasoning, parsley, celery salt, mustard, pepper, sea salt (if desired), and seitan and stir well. Mix flour into broth and add to saute pan and stir well. Stir in soy sauce. Simmer, covered, stirring frequently, for an additional 10 minutes, until vegetables are just tender.
- While vegetables are simmering, preheat oven to 400 F.
- Divide vegetable stew among 6 oven-proof soup or mini-casserole dishes (about 1 1/8 cups each). (May place all of stew into one large casserole dish, if desired). Top each dish with ½ cup mashed potatoes, smoothing over surface of stew. (If using one large dish then use the entire recipe of mashed potatoes to cover surface.)
- Place dishes on the top rack of the oven and heat for about 20 minutes, until mixture is golden on top.
- Remove, garnish with herbs, and serve immediately.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 311
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 421 mg
- Fat: 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 51 g
- Fiber: 6.5 g
- Protein: 17 g
- Cholesterol: 3 mg
Keywords: vegan comfort food, veggie shepherd pie, shepherd pie