This vegetarian chili, which is also vegan and gluten-free, is packed with summery vegetables, including zucchini, peppers, corn, carrots, and tomatoes. Plus, the addition of steel cut oats gives it a “meaty” texture.
- 1 pound red beans, dried (i.e., pinto, kidney, cranberry, or red)
- 6 cups water
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes, gluten-free
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup yellow corn, frozen or canned
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 4-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, reduced sodium, gluten-free
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried cilantro
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
- ¾ cups steel cut oats, dried
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Hot sauce to taste
- Salt to taste (optional)
Garnish (optional, as desired):
- Fresh avocado slices
- Green onion slices
- Chopped cilantro
- Chopped fresh tomatoes
- Lemon wedges
- Place beans in a large pot, cover with water, and soak overnight.
- The next day, discard the water, and add 6 cups fresh water and bouillon cubes. Cover and simmer over medium-low for 45 minutes.
- Add carrots, celery, onion, garlic, pepper, zucchini, corn, tomatoes, tomato paste, soy sauce, chili powder, paprika, cumin, oregano, cilantro, brown sugar, and steel cut oats.
- Stir well to combine, cover, and simmer for an additional 45 minutes, stirring frequently, until beans, oats, and vegetables are tender. May need to add additional water lost to evaporation. Should make a thick stew-like texture.
- Before serving, stir in lemon juice and add hot sauce to achieve desired level of spiciness. Season with salt as desired (optional).
- Serve in bowls and garnish as desired with fresh avocado slices, green onion slices, chopped fresh cilantro, chopped fresh tomatoes, and lemon wedges.
- Makes about 4 1/2 quarts of chili; 10 servings (about 1 3/4 cups per serving).
Instant Pot Directions: Skip Step 1, and instead place all ingredients from Steps 2-3 into the container of an Instant Pot. Press “Bean/Chili” setting. When done, follow Steps 5-6.
Slow cooker Directions: Follow Step 1, then for Steps 2-4, place all ingredients in the container of a Slow Cooker. Cook on high for 4-6 hours or on low for 8-12 hours. When done, follow Steps 5-6 above.
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 241
- Sugar: 7 g
- Sodium: 169 mg
- Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 46 g
- Fiber: 11 g
- Protein: 14 g
Keywords: vegan chili, healthy chili, vegan soup recipe