Make a plant-based, lighter, and easier version of the classic Mexican dish Chiles Rellenos in this vegan version, which is still heavy on flavor.
- 4 large Poblano chiles
- ½ teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 ½ cups shredded plant-based cheese, cheddar-style
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 green onions, sliced
- Preheat oven to broiler setting.
- Slice chiles in half, and scoop out seeds. Place, cut side down, in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish, drizzle with ½ teaspoon extra virgin olive oil, and place on top rack. Broil for 5-10 minutes, until slightly blackened.
- Remove from oven and let stand for a few minutes to cool slightly and sweat. With your fingers, peel away the skin and discard.
- Place peeled, roasted chiles, cut side up, on the bottom of the baking dish.
- While chiles are roasting, prepare Quinoa Filling: Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large skillet or sauté pan. Add onion, zucchini, garlic, and bell pepper. Sauté for 8 minutes. Stir in cumin, chili powder, corn, cooked quinoa, and tomatoes. Cover, and sauté for an additional 5 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Spread Quinoa Filling evenly on top of roasted green chiles.
- Sprinkle evenly with plant-based cheese.
- Place in oven and bake for about 30 minutes, until cheese is melted and surface is slightly golden.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with cilantro and green onions and serve immediately.
- Makes 8 servings
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American, Mexican
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 239
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 365 mg
- Fat: 7 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 36 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 3 g
Keywords: Vegan Chiles Rellenos, vegan casserole recipe, vegan recipe, chiles rellenos