- 1 pound red beans (i.e., kidney, small red, cranberry), dried
- 4 cups water
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube (gluten-free)
- 1 small acorn squash, peeled, cubed (about 2 ¼ cups)
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon juniper berries (available at spice shops or online)
- 2 teaspoons ground, dried sage
- ½ – 1 teaspoon crushed red chili pepper (according to taste preference)
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- Sea salt (optional)
- Fresh tarragon and sage, if desired
- Soak beans overnight in water.
- Drain and place beans in a large pot. Add fresh water (4 cups), vegetable bouillon cube, squash, onion, garlic, celery, pepper, bay leaves, juniper berries, sage, chili pepper, tarragon, and corn. Stir well, cover, and bring to a heat. Simmer over medium-low for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. May need to replace water lost to evaporation.
- Add tomato sauce and tomato paste. Cook for an additional 15-30 minutes, until thick and beans are tender. Add fresh mint and stir well. Remove bay leaves. Season with salt, if desired. May serve with fresh tarragon and sage, if desired.
Instant Pot Directions: Place all ingredients in the container of the Instant Pot. Press “Bean/Chili” setting. Cook according to manufacturer’s directions. Serve immediately.
Slow Cooker Directions. Place all ingredients in the container of the Slow Cooker. Cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 8-12 hours. Cook according to manufacturer’s directions. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 124
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 42 mg
- Fat: 1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 26 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg