This vegan chili is inspired by the story of the “Three Sisters,” the Native American agricultural tradition of planting beans, squash, and corn together.
- 1 pound red beans (i.e., kidney, small red, cranberry), dried
- 4–6 cups water
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube (gluten-free)
- 1 small acorn squash, peeled, cubed (about 2 ¼ cups)
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon juniper berries (available at spice shops or online), ground using mortar and pestle
- 2 teaspoons ground, dried sage
- ½ – 1 teaspoon crushed red chili pepper (according to taste preference)
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- Sea salt (optional)
- Fresh tarragon and sage, if desired
- Soak beans overnight in water.
- Drain and place beans in a large pot. Add fresh water (4 – 6 cups), vegetable bouillon cube, squash, onion, garlic, celery, pepper, bay leaves, juniper berries, sage, chili pepper, tarragon, and corn. Stir well, cover, and bring to a heat. Simmer over medium-low for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. May need to replace water lost to evaporation.
- Add tomato sauce and tomato paste. Cook for an additional 15-30 minutes, until thick and beans are tender. Add fresh mint and stir well. Remove bay leaves. Season with salt, if desired. May serve with fresh tarragon and sage, if desired.
Instant Pot Directions: Place all ingredients, except garnish, in the container of the Instant Pot. Press “Bean/Chili” setting. Cook according to manufacturer’s directions. Garnish as desired with tarragon and sage. Serve immediately.
Slow Cooker Directions: Soak beans in water overnight. Drain and place in slow cooker container, along with all ingredients (except for garnish). Cook on high for 4-6 hours or on low for 8-12 hours until tender. Cook according to manufacturer’s directions. Garnish as desired with tarragon and sage. Serve immediately.
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 124
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 42 mg
- Fat: 1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 26 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: soup, vegan chili, healthy vegan chili