- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked (red, white, or multi-colored)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped (red, green, yellow, or orange)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups plain, unsweetened plant-based milk (i.e., soy or almond)
- 2 cups frozen sweet corn, thawed
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained (may substitute black beans)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Optional: pinch salt
- Heat a heavy pot and toast quinoa in the pot for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add olive oil, onions, bell pepper, and garlic and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add broth and plant-based milk, stirring well.
- Add corn, beans, parsley, thyme, cayenne pepper, and salt (optional). Stir until well combined.
- Heat chowder, while stirring frequently, until bubbly and thickened, and quinoa and vegetables are tender—about 10-15 minutes.
- Makes 6 servings (about 1 1/4 cups each).
InstantPot Directions: Place all ingredients in the container of the InstantPot. Press “Bean/Chili” setting. Cook according to manufacturer’s directions. Serve immediately.
Slowcooker Directions: Place all ingredients in the container of the Slowcooker. Cook on high for 4-6 hours or on low for 8-12 hours. Cook according to manufacturer’s directions. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 1 1/4 cup
- Calories: 282
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 252 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 46 g
- Fiber: 10 g
- Protein: 12 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg