This oh-so savory, comforting, deep dish vegan pie is just what the doctor ordered (literally!)—filled with a rich lentil mushroom filling and topped with a flaky sage wheat pastry, it will comfort you with hearty nutrition, satisfying taste, soothing aromas, and appealing visions.
Lentil Mushroom Filling:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (8-ounce) sweet potato, peeled, cubed
- 4 ounces fresh green beans, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup brown or green lentils, dried
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage (or 1 tablespoon dried)
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 tablespoon whole grain prepared mustard
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, gluten-free
- ¼ cup plant-based milk, plain, unsweetened
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Salt, as desired (optional)
Sage Pastry Crust:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage (may substitute 1 tablespoon dried)
- 1/3 cup vegan butter, stick
- 4–5 tablespoons ice water
- Heat olive oil in a heavy pot or saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic cloves and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add sweet potato, green beans and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add lentils, sage, thyme, mustard, and black pepper and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add vegetable broth, water, and soy sauce, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Mix plant-based milk with flour until smooth. Stir into lentil mixture, and cook until thickened and bubbling (about 5 minutes).
- Season with salt, as desired.
- Transfer filling into a deep pie dish or round casserole that fits 1 ½ quarts.
- While filling is cooking, make the Sage Pastry Crust. In a medium bowl, mix together all purpose, whole wheat flour, and salt. Mix in sage.
- Cut in vegan butter with a fork until makes crumbly texture.
- Add cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and mix (may use clean hands) until it creates a firm dough that holds together, but is not sticky. Do not overwork dough, as it will get tough.
- Turn out pastry dough on a floured surface and roll out with a pastry roller to create a circle about 11-inches in diameter.
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Place the pastry over the top of the savory pie, and crimp the edges with your fingers to secure the pastry dough to the top of the dish.
- Cut several vents with a knife along the pie.
- Place the savory pie on a baking sheet (in case it boils over), and place in the oven. Bake for about 20-22 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove and serve.
- Makes 6 servings (about 1 cup each).
To make this recipe gluten-free, use corn starch instead of flour in step 7, and gluten-free flour blend instead of all purpose and whole wheat flour in step 10.
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 333
- Sugar: 14 g
- Sodium: 546 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 47 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 13 g
Keywords: lentil pie, vegan entree, comfort food, vegan comfort food, vegan lentil pie