- 1 cup steel cut oats, uncooked
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14-oz package of extra firm tofu, drained, pressed*
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 bunch fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Soymilk, plain, unsweetened, heated as desired
- Bring water to a boil in a small pot and add oats. Cook for about 20-25 minutes, according to package directions, to desired texture.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet or sauté pan. Add red onions, garlic, and tofu and sauté for 4 minutes. Add mushrooms, black pepper, salt, dried basil, and sun-dried tomatoes and sauté for an additional 4 minutes.
- Add chopped spinach and vinegar and sauté for 2 minutes, until wilted but bright green.
- Divide oatmeal among 4 bowls.
- Top each bowl with spinach tofu mixture. Serve with heated soymilk, as desired.
*To press tofu, use a tofu press; or wrap tofu in paper towels and place between two plates with something heavy pressing on the top plate for 15 minutes, draining away liquid.
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 357
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 231 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 40 g
- Fiber: 10 g
- Protein: 26 g
Keywords: vegan oatmeal bowl, savory oatmeal bowl