- 2 cups cooked whole grain sorghum
- 1 medium red onion, sliced into thin wedges
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 3 small carrots (red, purple, orange, yellow, or white), sliced
- 8 ounces Brussels sprouts, sliced in half vertically
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons ras el hanout (Morrocan spice blend, see directions below)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Pinch salt (optional)
- 2 cups chopped greens (i.e., kale, spinach, arugula leaves)
- 12 black olives (i.e., Kalamata, Picholine, Nicoise), rinsed, drained
- Cook sorghum according to package directions.
- While sorghum is cooking, preheat oven to 375 F.
- Arrange rows of sliced red onions, sliced red bell pepper, sliced carrots, halved Brussels sprouts, and chickpeas on a baking sheet (see picture).
- Make the vinaigrette by whisking together olive oil, lemon juice, ras el hanout, garlic, and salt (optional) in a small dish.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette evenly over the vegetables and chickpeas in the baking sheet.
- Place on the top rack of the oven and roast for about 45 minutes, until vegetables are tender and golden brown.
- Remove vegetables from oven.
- To make each large individual bowl (makes 4 bowls): In each bowl, arrange ½ cup cooked sorghum on one side, and ½ cup greens on the other side. On each bowl, arrange on top of the sorghum and greens the following: ¼ of the onions, ¼ of the bell pepper, ¼ of the carrots, ¼ of the Brussels sprouts, ¼ of the chickpeas, and 3 black olives.
- Serve immediately.
You can meal prep this recipe by making 4 individual servings and place in airtight containers to use up within 5 days. You can also make this recipe into a family-style meal by following the instructions, but serving it in one large bowl rather than 4 individual bowls.
Ras el hanout is a Moroccan spice blend available in specialty spice and gourmet stores and online shops. You can make it yourself by mixing: 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 teaspoon ground turmeric, 1 teaspoon paprika, ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon ground coriander, ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, ½ teaspoon ground cardamom, ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg, and ¼ teaspoon ground cloves. Store in an airtight container.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 434
- Sugar: 11 g
- Sodium: 152 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 74 g
- Fiber: 14 g
- Protein: 17 g
Keywords: Chickpea, powerbowl, vegan entree, sorghum