This simple, rustic, completely plant-based, gluten-free Lima Bean Sumac Salad showcases beautiful sunny Mediterranean flavors, including lima beans, sumac, peppers, basil, garlic, capers, olive oil, and lemons.
- 1 pound large lima beans, dried
- 6 cups water
- 1 bell pepper, coarsely diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed, drained
- Prepare lima beans by soaking them overnight in water. Rinse and drain off soaking water, and place beans in a cooking pot. Add 6 cups fresh water, cover, and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, until beans are tender yet firm. They should not be mushy. Remove beans from heat, drain off any remaining liquid, and cool (may serve warm) slightly.
- Mix beans, with bell pepper, onion, basil, and capers in a large bowl.
- Mix vinaigrette in a small dish by whisking together olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt, black pepper, garlic, and sumac.
- Stir vinaigrette into bean mixture and mix well to distribute ingredients.
- Serve warm, room temperature, or chill until serving time.
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 163
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 49 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 24 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: lima bean, vegan lima bean salad