The vibrantly flavored, Indian classic comfort food, Instant Pot Chickpea Curry, is super easy to make at home with a few simple ingredients—chickpeas, canned tomatoes, spices, and whole grains.
- 1 ½ tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 small (or 1/2 large) green chili, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 4 cloves minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon sea salt (optional)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 14-ounce can tomato sauce
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro (reserve some for garnish)
- 2 15-ounce cans (3 ½ cups) chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- *4 cups cooked gluten-free whole grains, according to package directions (i.e., brown rice, sorghum, quinoa, millet)
- Fill the container of an Instant Pot with all of the ingredients (except the cooked whole grains) and stir well with mixing spoon.
- Close lid, and push the “bean/chili” setting (which is 30 minutes on high pressure) according to manufacturer instructions.
- When Instant Pot cooking cycle is complete, release the pressure according to the manufacturer instructions.
- Serve chickpea curry over cooked whole grains (serve these warm).
You can pull double duty and cook the whole grains in the Instant Pot by placing the uncooked grains in a glass bowl with the recommended amount of water on the tray that comes with your Instant Pot. The tray allows the grains to cook—elevated above the curry—in a separate container. When the cooking cycle is done, you will find the grains cooked in one container, and the curry cooked on the bottom. You may have to drain off extra liquid in the grains before serving them.
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup whole grains with ¾ cup chickpea curry
- Calories: 350
- Sugar: 10 g
- Sodium: 26 mg
- Fat: 7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 58 g
- Fiber: 12 g
- Protein: 15 g
Keywords: instant pot, chickpea, garbonzo beans, curry