Make this easy, vegan, gluten-free vegetable chickpea biryani recipe with only 10 ingredients in 35 minutes, thanks to a handy pre-made simmer sauce and your trusty Instant Pot.
- 1 ½ cups brown basmati rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 (12.5-ounce) jar Maya Kaimal Vegan Tikka Masala Simmer Sauce
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 1 small head cauliflower, broken into small florets (2 cups)
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ cup toasted cashews
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint and/or parsley
- Place basmati rice in a small bowl and cover with 2 cups water. Set aside and soak for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare all ingredients.
- Place vegetable oil in the container of the Instant Pot and place on the “sauté” setting.
- Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add carrots and sauté for 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add rice with water and the Maya Kaimal Vegan Tikka Masala Simmer Sauce.
- Stir well.
- Cover Instant Pot with the lid, and press the “pressure” setting using the “manual” button (“pressure cook” for newer models) and set cooking time to 12 minutes (using the + sign to increase time). Refer to manufacturer’s directions for more information on settings.
- When cooking cycle is done, release the steam and open the lid.
- Stir well, and add peas, chickpeas, and cauliflower. Press the “sauté” button and sauté, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes, just until vegetables are crisp tender.
- Remove from Instant Pot, and transfer rice mixture to a dish or platter. Top with raisins, cashews, and mint/parsley and serve.
- Makes 8 servings (1 cup each).
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 232
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 357 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 38 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 7 g
Keywords: vegan indian recipe, best vegan indian food, vegan instant pot recipe, Veggie Biryani, Biryani recipe