Make the best veggie sushi ever, based on seasonal, local veggies and this super simple, healthy and delicious vegan recipe.
Brown Sushi Rice:
- 3 ½ cups cooked short grain brown rice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, gluten-free
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon agave syrup
- 2 cups assorted vegetables, sliced into thin strips or small pieces, such as:
- Carrots, peeled, sliced into thin matchstick strips
- Cucumbers, sliced into thin matchstick strips
- Asparagus spears, thin, sliced
- Microgreens or sprouts
- Avocado, sliced thinly
- Green onion, sliced
- Mushrooms, sliced
- Summer squash, sliced into thin matchstick strips
- Bell pepper, thinly sliced
- Cilantro leaves
- Arugula or spinach, small leaves
- Radishes, sliced into thin matchstick strips
- Broccoli florets, thinly sliced
- Snow peas, sliced into thin slivers
- Red cabbage, sliced into thin slivers
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 4 sheets Nori roasted seaweed
- Cilantro, green onions, basil (as desired)
- Additional vegetables (as desired)
Creamy Sriracha Sauce:
- To make Brown Sushi Rice: Cook short-grain brown rice according to package directions (about 45 minutes). Cool for 10 minutes.
- Place soy sauce, vinegar and agave in a small microwaveable dish and heat for 2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Pour over rice and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Prepare 2 cups of assorted vegetables into thin pieces as described and place on a large dish.
- On a clean cutting board, place a sushi mat or a piece of plastic wrap.
- Place one sheet of Nori seaweed, shiny side down, lengthwise on sushi mat or plastic wrap.
- Measure out about 7/8 cup of rice and spread it out evenly with a spoon or wet hands over Nori sheet, leaving a margin of about one-fourth of the length of the Nori sheet on the right side.
- Sprinkle ½ teaspoon sesame seeds over rice.
- Place ½ cup of the vegetables in your desired combination on the margin of the Nori sheet that has no rice.
- Starting with the vegetable side, roll the sushi tightly, pressing with either the mat or the plastic wrap to make a tight, cylindrical roll, until you reach the end of the Nori sheet.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the roll into 8 slices. Repeat four times with all ingredients.
- Make the Creamy Sriracha Sauce by combining vegan mayonnaise, sriracha sauce, ginger, agave, and lemon juice in a small dish.
- Arrange sushi rolls on a platter with additional vegetables, sprouts, or greens. Drizzle Creamy Sriracha Sauce Garnish over the rolls, and garnish with cilantro, green onions, or basil, as desired.
- Makes 8 servings (1/2 roll each).
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Asian, American
- Serving Size: 1/2 sushi roll each
- Calories: 137
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 123 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 21 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 2 g