Loaded with flavor and texture, the colors of this completely plant-based (vegan), gluten-free Vegetable Stir-Fry with Forbidden Rice really pop when juxtaposed with jet-black “forbidden” rice.
- 1 ⅓ cups uncooked forbidden (black) rice
- 2 ⅓ cups water
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 medium carrot, sliced (see Note)
- 1 medium onion, coarsely sliced
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 1 medium green bell pepper, coarsely sliced
- One 15-ounce can baby corn, drained
- One 8-ounce can water chestnuts, drained
- One 8-ounce can bamboo shoots, drained
- 3 cups sliced Chinese (Napa) cabbage
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce, gluten-free
- ½ teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- ¼ cup reduced sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 green onions, white and green parts, sliced
- ½ cup coarsely chopped cashews
- Place the rice and water in a small pot, cover, and simmer over medium-low heat for about 30 minutes, until tender, with all of the water absorbed.
- Meanwhile, heat the sesame oil in a large sauté pan or wok over medium heat.
- Add the carrot and onion and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and sesame seeds and sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper, corn, water chestnuts, and bamboo shoots and sauté for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, mushrooms, sprouts, and cilantro and sauté for an additional 3 minutes.
- Mix the soy sauce, vinegar, agave, broth, and cornstarch in a small dish until smooth. Add to the pan with the vegetables and continue to sauté for about 3 minutes, until the sauce has thickened and the vegetables are crisp-tender. Garnish the stir-fry with the green onions and cashews and serve with the rice.
*A food processor may come in handy for slicing the fresh vegetables in this recipe.
*Variation: Add 12 ounces of sliced extra firm tofu (pressed for best results) with cabbage.
Recipe from Plant-Powered for Life: Eat Your Way to Lasting Health with 52 Simple Steps and 125 Delicious Recipes
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Asian, American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 272
- Sugar: 9 g
- Sodium: 279 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 44 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 10 g
Keywords: vegetable stir-fry, vegan stir-fry