“Meaty” black-eyed peas, earthy sweet potatoes and vibrant spices lend a wonderful flavor to this plant-based chili.
- 8 ounces black-eyed peas, uncooked
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon apple vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes, with liquid
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- Place peas in a large pot and cover with water. Soak overnight (or about 8 hours). Drain off water.
- Add 4 cups fresh water to pot, along with vegetable broth, sweet potatoes, garlic, onion, celery, and bell pepper, and stir well. Cover with lid and cook over medium heat for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add molasses, vinegar, tomatoes, turmeric, chili powder, cayenne pepper and stir well. Cover with lid and cook on medium for 45 minutes, until tender.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve.
- Makes 6 servings (1 cup each)
Instant Pot Directions: For Steps 2-3, place ingredients in an Instant Pot. Press “Bean/Chili” setting. Cook according to manufacturer’s directions. Serve immediately. Garnish with cilantro.
Slow cooker Directions: For Steps 2-3, place ingredients in a Slow Cooker. Cook on high for 4-6 hours or on low for 8-12 hours. Cook according to manufacturer’s directions. Serve immediately. Garnish with cilantro.
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 221
- Sugar: 9 g
- Sodium: 423 mg
- Fat: 1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 44 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 12 g
Keywords: vegan chili, healthy chili, easy chili, black-eyed peas