A traditional Mexican dish, tortilla soup is a spicy blend of tomatoes, vegetables, and crisp tortilla strips. This easy plant-powered version from Plant-Powered for Life—you can whip it up in no time—throws protein-rich black beans into the mix. Best of all, this dish relies on preserved goods, such as canned tomatoes, frozen corn, and canned beans, so you can make it year-round from your pantry. And it’s a great complement for a simple sandwich, burrito, or vegetable salad for lunch or dinner.
Serves 1 cup
24 minPrep Time
48 minTotal Time
- Three 6-inch (15 cm) corn tortillas
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, finely diced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 cup (164 g) frozen corn
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 4 cups (948 ml) water
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium vegetable broth base
- Two 14.5-ounce (411 g) cans diced tomatoes, with liquid
- One 15-ounce (425 g) can black beans, with liquid (or 1¾ cups cooked, with ½ cup water)
- 2/3 cup (37 g) plant-based cheese, optional
- 2/3 cup (60 g) chopped green onions, white and green parts
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Slice the tortillas into thin strips. Place them on a baking sheet and drizzle with 2 teaspoons of olive oil, then sprinkle the chili powder on top. Bake for about 5 to 8 minutes, until brown and crisp. Remove from oven and set aside. Turn off the oven.
- Meanwhile, prepare the soup by heating the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, bell pepper, jalapeño, zucchini, corn, crushed red pepper, and cumin and sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the water, broth base, tomatoes, and black beans. Stir well and cover. Simmer over medium heat for 25 to 30 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Ladle about 1 cup of soup into soup bowls, and garnish with a few tortilla strips, 1 tablespoon of plant-based cheese, and 1 tablespoon green onions. Serve immediately.
- Store leftover soup (without garnishes) in the refrigerator for up to three days. Reheat the soup and garnish with the tortilla strips, cheese, and green onions.
*Variation: Substitute cooked or canned white beans, pinto beans, garbanzo beans, or kidney beans for black beans, or use a combination.
*Per Serving: 148 calories, 5 g protein, 21 g carbohydrate, 5 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 5 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 263 mg sodium
*Star Nutrients: vitamin C (40% DV), folate (12% DV), calcium (14% DV), manganese (11% DV), molybdenum (44% DV), phosphorus (10% DV), potassium (10% DV)
From Plant-Powered for Life: Eat Your Way to Lasting Health with 52 Simple Steps and 125 Delicious Recipes Copyright © 2014 Sharon Palmer