This vegan, gluten-free meal-in-a bowl is packed with the flavors and nutrition of black beans, quinoa, mango, bell peppers, corn, and cilantro, with a flavorful vinaigrette.
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, no salt added, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (according to package directions)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh (or frozen) mango
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
- Mix together the beans, quinoa, corn, bell pepper, mango, onion, cilantro, and jalapeno in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, cumin, chili powder, and turmeric in a small bowl. Drizzle over the mixture and toss. Refrigerate until serving time.
- Makes about 6 (1-cup) servings.
Substitute kidney or pinto beans for the black beans, or use cooked barley, bulgur, rice, or farro instead of the quinoa.
If you’re in a rush, buy precooked quinoa that comes in handy 1-cup servings.
To substitute home-cooked black beans for the canned beans, use 1 ¾ cups cooked beans in place of the drained canned beans.
This dish may be served warm by heating all ingredients in a saucepan for 3 to 5 minutes, only until heated through.
This recipe is from The Plant-Powered Diet, by Sharon Palmer, MSFS, RDN
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 164
- Sodium: 93 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 27 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 6 g
Keywords: vegan salad, healthy salad, black bean salad