Turn to pretty delicata squash, earthy mushrooms, and jewel-like beluga lentils to make a fabulous, hearty plant-based (vegan) meal that’s equally good for a weeknight dinner or holiday table.
- 1 medium Delicata squash
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper (red, orange, or yellow), chopped
- 8 ounces brown mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons sage, dried
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups black beluga lentils, uncooked
- 3 cups water
- 1 cube vegetable bouillon, gluten-free
- ½ cup unsweetened apple juice
- Fresh sage leaves, as desired
- Split squash in half lengthwise, and scoop out seeds. Do not remove peel. Slice vertically into about ½-inch slices to create scalloped slices of squash.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Add squash and onions and sauté for 2 minutes. Add peppers, mushrooms, garlic, sage, smoked paprika, black pepper, and salt (optional). Sauté for additional 2 minutes.
- Add lentils, water, and buillion cube and simmer for 20 minutes, with lid on. Add apple juice and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes, until lentils are tender, yet firm. May need to add additional water to replace moisture lost to evaporation. Should make a thick texture.
- Garnish with fresh sage leaves, as desired.
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 367
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 498 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 59 g
- Fiber: 24 g
- Protein: 22 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan squash recipe, best vegan squash recipe, squash and lentils