- 3 cups (454 g) French green lentils
- 4 cups (948 ml) water
- 2 teaspoons reduced sodium vegetable broth base
- 4 celery stalks, diced (160 g or about 1½ cups)
- 1½ cups (224 g) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 medium shallots, finely diced
- ¼ cup (15 g) packed chopped fresh parsley
- 1½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon herbes de Provence
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- Pinch of sea salt, optional
- Place the lentils, water, and broth base in a pot. Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until the lentils are tender but firm.
- Remove from the heat, drain any remaining liquid, and transfer the lentils to a large bowl. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Stir in the celery, tomatoes, shallots, and parsley.
- In a small dish, make the dressing by whisking together the olive oil, mustard, vinegar, herbes de Provence, black pepper, and garlic.
- Add the dressing to the lentil mixture and toss. Taste and season with sea salt, if desired. Chill until serving time.
*Nutrition Information Per Serving: 136 calories, 8 g protein, 19 g carbohydrate, 4 g fat, .5 g saturated fat, 4 g fiber, 3 g sugar, 55 mg sodium
*Star Nutrients: vitamin A (13% DV), thiamine (10% DV), vitamin B6 (11% DV), folate: (40% DV), vitamin C (19% DV), vitamin K (67% DV), copper (13% DV), iron (16% DV) magnesium (10% DV), manganese (24% DV), phosphorus (16% DV), potassium (14% DV)
- Serving Size: 1 cup