The savory, umami flavors shine through in this 20-minute, 6-ingredient, vegan, gluten-free rice bowl, which features protein-rich edamame, bok choy, bell peppers, and brown rice.
- 1 cup dried, quick-cooking (parboiled) brown rice
- 2 cups water*
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups frozen edamame (shelled), thawed
- 6 ounces (about 5 heads) baby bok choy, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, gluten-free
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Add quick-cooking brown rice and water* (follow package directions, may need to adjust amount of water as directed) to a pot or rice cooker, and cook according to package directions (about 15-20 minutes).
- While rice is cooking, heat sesame oil in a sauté pan, skillet or wok.
- Add sliced bell pepper and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add edamame, bok choy and soy sauce and cook for an additional 3 minutes, just until bok choy is crisp-tender yet bright green.
- Divide cooked rice among 4 large bowls (about ¾ cup each) and top each bowl with one-fourth of the edamame bok choy stir-fry mixture (about 1 ¼ cups each).
- Optional: sprinkle each bowl with 1 teaspoon sesame seeds.
- Makes 4 servings
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Asian, American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 302
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 421 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 46 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 12 g