Turn to sea vegetables to provide a unique bold flavor to this satisfying plant-based (vegan) salad featuring buckwheat soba noodles and protein-rich seitan.
- 1 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 package (about 8 ounces) soba noodles
- 3 small Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced into matchstick strips
- 1 bell pepper (yellow, red or green), thinly sliced
- 1 8-ounce package seitan, drained, chopped
- ½ cup dried, sliced seaweed (i.e., kelp, nori)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon wasabi paste
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 5 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Place dried shitake mushrooms in a bowl and pour boiling water over them. Set aside for 20 minutes. Drain water. Slice thinly.
- Fill a medium pot with water and bring to a boil. Place soba noodles in the pot and boil (according to package directions) about 4 minutes. Do not overcook. Place in a strainer and rinse well with cold water.
- In a large bowl, mix together sliced cucumbers, sliced bell pepper, chopped seitan, sliced seaweed, cooked and cooled soba noodles, and sliced shitake mushrooms.
- In a small dish, whisk together the salad dressing ingredients: sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, wasabi paste, red pepper flakes, ginger, and garlic.
- Pour dressing over noodle mixture and toss well.
- Place in a salad bowl or platter and garnish with cherry tomatoes and sesame seeds. Chill until serving time.
- Yields 8 servings.
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 200
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 579 mg
- Fat: 3 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 34 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 14 g
Keywords: vegan salad, seaweed salad