This simple vegan, gluten-free recipe for Masala-Spiced Potatoes is rich in flavorful Indian spices, such as cumin, chilis, garlic, coriander, and mango powder.
- 2 pounds medium potatoes, peeled, cut into chunks (about 1 1/2-inches)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 red or green bell pepper, diced
- 1 small green chili, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ½ cup diced canned tomatoes, drained (or fresh)
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon dried mango powder (called amchure, available online and in well stocked spice shops)
- Salt (as desired, optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- Place potatoes in boiling water, cover, and cook until tender yet firm (about 15 minutes). Drain and set aside.
- While potatoes are cooking assemble ingredients. Heat oil and cumin seeds for 1 minute, stirring.
- Add bell pepper, chili, garlic, and tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add potatoes, coriander, garam masala, mango powder, salt (as desired), stirring gently. Turn frequently to avoid sticking. Cook for an additional 4-5 minutes, until vegetables are tender and potatoes are golden brown.
- Serve immediately. Makes 6 servings.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 203
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 84 mg
- Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 42 g
- Protein: 5 g