This simple, healthy recipe for Classic Swedish Pea Soup is vegan and gluten-free, and it’s based on just a few easy ingredients in order to create an authentic hearty meal.
- Cover the dried yellow peas with water and soak overnight.
- Drain the peas and place them in a large heavy pot.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stir well, cover with a lid, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until the peas are very tender. Add water as needed to replace moisture lost to evaporation to create a thick texture.
- Remove the bay leaf before serving.
Traditional Swedish pea soup uses whole yellow peas (not split). If you are unable to find whole yellow peas, substitute split yellow peas, but reduce the cooking time by about 30 minutes, as they will cook faster.
Swedish mustard (senap), which may be found in some gourmet and international shops, has a characteristic sweet yet spicy flavor.
Instant Pot Directions: Soak and drain the peas, then combine with the other ingredients in the container of the Instant Pot. Press “Bean/Chili” setting. Cook according to manufacturer’s directions. Serve immediately.
Slow cooker Directions: Soak and drain the peas, then combine with the other ingredients and cook for 4-6 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low. Serve immediately.
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Swedish, American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 203
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 59 mg
- Fat: 1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 36 g
- Fiber: 15 g
- Protein: 14 g
Keywords: sprouted pea soup, split pea soup