Whole grain sorghum is the start of something beautiful in this flavorful, protein-rich salad featuring summer vegetables and masala spices.
- 2 cups baby salad leaves, such as spinach, kale or arugula
- 1 cup chickpeas, canned, drained
- 1 ½ cups cooked sorghum, cooled (per package directions)
- 1 small bell pepper (green, yellow, red or purple), diced
- 2 green onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 small Persian cucumber, unpeeled, chopped
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes (yellow or red), cut in half
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon masala spice blend*
- Sea salt (optional)
- Line a platter or salad bowl with leaves.
- Place frozen green chickpeas in a medium pot and boil for 3-5 minutes, just until tender. Drain and cool.
- In a large bowl, add cooled chickpeas, sorghum, bell pepper, green onions, cilantro, cucumber and tomatoes. Toss together.
- In a small dish, whisk together EVOO, lemon juice, garlic, and masala spice blend. May add a pinch of sea salt, if desired.
- Toss dressing into the sorghum mixture and combine well.
- Arrange sorghum salad mixture on top of leafy greens in bowl or platter.
- Serve immediately or chill until serving time.
- Makes 8 servings (3/4 cup serving size)
*Masala spice is available at spice shops or online. Or you can make your own by mixing coriander, cumin, black pepper, cloves, chili powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, and cardamom.
Instant Pot Directions: To cook sorghum, place sorghum in the container of the Instant Pot. Press “Multigrain” setting. Cook according to manufacturer’s directions. Follow above directions using cooked sorghum.
Slow cooker Directions: To cook sorghum, place sorghum in the container of the Slow cooker. Cook on high for 4-6 hours or on low for 8-12 hours. Cook according to manufacturer’s directions. Follow above directions using cooked sorghum.
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: American, Indian
- Serving Size: 1 serving
Keywords: sorghum salad, green chickpea, vegan salad, tikka masala