Use the culinary technique of risotto—slow simmering in a flavorful white wine broth—in this savory, nutrient-packed recipe for Lentil Risotto with Peas.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ large onion, diced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ cups sliced mushrooms
- 4 cups reduced sodium vegetable broth
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 cup small, green lentils, uncooked
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan and sauté onions and garlic for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat vegetable broth, wine, and balsamic vinegar in a small pot until warm but not boiling. Turn to low heat, just to keep broth warm.
- Add black pepper, sage, lentils, and dried cranberries to the sauté pan. Ladle about ½ cup of broth into the sauté pan and stir occasionally until liquid is absorbed. Repeat this process, adding ½ cup of warm broth at a time, and stirring occasionally until liquid is absorbed, for about 50 – 60 minutes, until lentils become just tender. (May not use all of the broth mixture—use only enough to create tender lentils.) Stir in peas and walnuts and heat for 2 – 3 additional minutes. Makes 4 servings (1 1/4 cups each).
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Serving Size: 1 1/4 cup
- Calories: 334
- Sugar: 16 g
- Sodium: 228 mg
- Fat: 14 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 41 g
- Fiber: 11 g
- Protein: 12 g
Keywords: vegan risotto, lentil risotto