Fondue is such a fun, interactive meal. Just serve a thick, warm dip with a variety of breads and veggies, and let people dip to their hearts content. It’s a wonderful winter time meal (right after a day skiing is the best!), but it also works just about any time of the year. Fondue is traditionally made with cheese, but that doesn’t mean plant-powered eaters have to skip this tradition altogether. I used yellow, waxy potatoes to create a healthy, plant-based “cheesy” fondue perfect for dipping with vegetables, tofu, and bread cubes.
Yields 8 servings
- 1 pound small, fresh yellow potatoes (i.e., Yukon gold, fingerling), peeled*, quartered
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup dry white wine (i.e., Chardonnay)
- ½ cup reserved potato water
- ½ cup unsweetened, plain plant-based milk (i.e. soy or almond milk)
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- Pinch nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Salt to taste
- Cubed tofu
- Seitan strips
- Veggie Sausage chunks
- Cube seitan
- Bell pepper chunks or strips
- Broccoli florets
- Cauliflower florets
- Cucumber slices
- Asparagus spears
- Snow peas
- Bread cubes
- Pita triangles
- Place potatoes and carrots in a medium pot, cover with water, cover with a lid and cook for about 10 minutes, until tender. Drain, reserving ½ cup water, and place cooked vegetables in a blender container.
- While potatoes are cooking, heat olive oil in a large skillet and add onions and garlic. Sauté until tender, about 8 minutes. Add onions and garlic to the blender container.
- In skillet (do not clean), add cornstarch and white wine and stir with a whisk over medium heat. Stir in reserved potato water and plant-based milk until smooth. Add pepper, turmeric, nutmeg, nutritional yeast and mustard and heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Pour white wine mixture into the blender container with the potatoes and onions and process until smooth. Adjust seasonings with salt as desired.
- Transfer fondue mixture to a fondue pot and heat until bubbly.
- Serve with dipping ideas, such as cubed pieces of bread, fresh vegetables, and tofu.
*You can peel these potatoes easily if you cook them first, and then slip off the peels when they are done.
Serve this fondue with your favorite plant-powered dipping items, such as:
Cubed tofu Seitan strips Veggie Sausage chunks Cube seitan Bell pepper chunks or strips Mushrooms Broccoli florets Cauliflower florets Cucumber slices Asparagus spears Snow peas Bread cubes Pita triangles