- 3 large potatoes, peeled, quartered
- 1 bunch beets (about 5), trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, cut in half, sliced thinly
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey or sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- Place potatoes in a pot of water, cover, and cook for about 30 minutes, just until tender enough to pierce with a fork but not crumbly.
- Place beets in a small pot of water and cook for about 20 minutes, until tender enough to pierce with a fork but still firm.
- While potatoes and beets are cooking, heat olive oil in a sauté pan. Add onions and sauté for about 7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar, mustard, honey or sugar, salt, black pepper, thyme and chives until smooth.
- When potatoes and beets are done cooking, drain water and cool slightly in order to handle them. Slice and transfer into a large bowl. Pour onion-dressing mixture over potatoes-beet mixture and toss until well distributed. Taste and adjust seasonings of salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve while warm. (Also delicious served chilled)
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 109
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 175 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 17 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 3 g