Jansson’s Temptation is a beloved, traditional Swedish potato casserole. Serve this vegan version as a twist on the classic recipe for the holidays or a simple comfort food meal or potluck.
- Peel and slice potatoes into thin matchstick strips (about 1/4-inch by 1 1/2 inch). Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon plant-based margarine in a skillet or saucepan and sauté onions until soft (about 8 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place one-fourth of the potatoes in the dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper as desired. Spread with one-third of the sautéed onions and 1 tablespoon capers. Repeat layers two more times, ending with final layer of potatoes on top.
- Pour over 1 cup of the plant-based creamer.
- Dot the top surface with 1 tablespoon margarine cut into small pieces. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Dot the top surface with remaining 1 tablespoon margarine pieces.
- Place in center of oven and bake for 30 minutes. Add remaining plant-based cream and bake for an additional 15 minutes, until tender and golden brown.
To make this recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free bread crumbs.
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Swedish, American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 234
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 112 mg
- Fat: 14 g
- Saturated Fat: 10 g
- Carbohydrates: 22 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 2 g
Keywords: vegan comfort food, vegan comfort food entree, vegan entree