This easy, authentic completely plant-based Vegetable Tofu Pho recipe is chock full of flavor, and you can get it on the table in minutes.
- 4 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced shitake mushrooms
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 thin slices peeled fresh ginger root
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium, gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise pods
- 1/2 teaspoon whole coriander
- 6 sprigs of fresh basil
- 6 sprigs of fresh cilantro
- One 8-ounce package gluten-free flat brown rice noodles
- One 15-ounce package extra firm tofu, pressed, cubed
- 1 bunch greens (i.e., chard, spinach, bok choy, mustard greens), chopped
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped basil (try to find Thai basil if possible)
- 1 small lime, cut into wedges
- 2–4 small chili peppers (i.e. bird’s eye, chili de arbol)
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped peanuts
- To prepare the broth: Combine all the broth ingredients in a large pot, cover, and bring to a low boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Strain the broth, discarding the vegetables and seasonings. Return the strained broth to the pot, cover, and keep warm (broth should be bubbling right before serving time). While broth is cooking, prepare noodles and toppings.
- To prepare the noodles: Bring a pot of water to boil. Place noodles in a dish. Pour boiling water over noodles and allow to soften, until achieves desired texture (tender yet not sticky)—about 4-6 minutes. Rinse and drain noodles.
- Arrange cilantro, basil, lime, peppers, green onions, and peanuts on a platter for garnishing.
- To serve the soup, divide the noodles among 4 bowls. Top with tofu and leafy greens. Pour boiling broth over each portion and serve immediately. Garnish with toppings as desired.
Alternatively, in step 4, you can add the noodles, tofu, and leafy greens to the pot of boiling broth and cook for 1-2 minutes to achieve desired texture before dividing it among 4 bowls and garnishing as desired with toppings.
Try alternative toppings, such as bean sprouts, mushrooms, and seitan.
Recipe is adapted from The Plant-Powered Diet by Sharon Palmer, MSFS, RDN
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Asian, American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 589
- Sugar: 10 g
- Sodium: 1914 mg
- Fat: 25 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 83 g
- Fiber: 10 g
- Protein: 28 g
Keywords: vegetable pho, tofu, vegan soup