- Slice margarine sticks into pieces, reserving one tablespoon for brushing rolls before baking. Place in a small pot and add plant-based milk and heat just until lukewarm (about 110 F).
- Measure salt and sugar into a large mixing bowl.
- Grind saffron, using a mortar and pestle, and add to the bowl.
- Add 5 cups of flour, the yeast, and the warm liquid from the pot. Use the electric mixer and blend. Add additional flour, ¼ cup at a time, until you achieve a soft dough that is not sticky to the touch (avoid too much flour so that it isn’t too dry). Place some of the remaining flour on a clean surface. Remove the dough and knead on the floured surface for 5 minutes.
- Place dough in a clean bowl, cover, and rise in a warm (but not hot) place for 30 minutes.
- Remove the dough, divide it into smaller sections, and roll the dough into ropes about 1-inch in diameter. Cut the ropes into 8-inch lengths. Shape into curled rolls (see photo).
- Place the rolls on baking sheets sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon margarine and brush rolls lightly with margarine.
- Allow to rise in a warm (but not hot) location for 30 minutes, until they have enlarged.
- Bake at 400 F for 5-10 minutes, until golden and tender.
- Cool and store in an airtight container.
May garnish rolls with raisins before baking in step 10.
- Serving Size: 1 roll
- Calories: 135
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 75 mg
- Fat: 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 22.5 g
- Fiber: 0.6 g
- Protein: 2.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg