If you’ve ever seen broad, flat Romano beans at the farmers market and wondered what to do with them, here is your answer: This hearty, rustic bean dish is inspired by Italian traditions and flavors.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound fresh Romano beans, trimmed, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- Salt and pepper, as desired (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan; add onions and garlic and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add Romano beans, tomatoes, vinegar, and rosemary, stir well, cover, and simmer for about 20 minutes, until beans are tender.
- Stir in pine nuts, and season with salt and pepper, as desired (optional).
- Serve with pasta, roasted potatoes, or whole grains, if desired, or as a side-dish.
- Makes 6 servings.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Italian, American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 167
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 9 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 3 g
Keywords: vegan side dish, healthy vegan side dish