These savory, completely plant-based veggie balls are filled with the goodness of beans, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, hazelnuts, and sage. Serve them with a flavorful pomegranate mandarin sauce.
Sage White Bean Veggie Balls:
- 1 small sweet potato, chopped in chunks
- 1 small red onion, chopped in chunks
- 2 stalks celery
- 8 ounces brown mushrooms
- ½ cup hazelnuts
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 sprigs fresh sage
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 1 small lemon, juiced
- ½ cup breadcrumbs, gluten-free
- ½ cup oats
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- Salt, as needed (optional)
- 2 (15-ounce) cans white (cannellini) beans, rinsed, drained
- Using a food processor (the shredding attachment works best; but you can also use the blade to process), finely shred or chop the sweet potato, onion, celery, mushrooms, hazelnuts, garlic, and sage very quickly, just until vegetables are chopped or shredded, but not liquefied.
- Mix in mustard, celery salt, black pepper, soy sauce, maple syrup, lemon juice, breadcrumbs, oats, and flax seeds. Season with salt as desired (optional).
- Mash the drained beans with a potato masher until smooth, with chunks remaining. Add to vegetable mixture, combining well.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Using a spoon and clean hands, shape mixture into about 40 golf ball-sized balls, pressing firmly.
- Place veggie balls on baking sheets sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake at 375 F for 55-60 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through.
- To make pomegranate mandarin sauce, whisk together pomegranate juice, mandarin orange juice, maple syrup, cardamom, and cornstarch together in a small saucepan. Heat over medium until bubbly and thickened. Stir in mandarin orange zest and pomegranate seeds (arils) and chill until serving time.
- Serve veggie balls with sauce immediately.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean
- Serving Size: 4 meatballs + ¼ cup sauce each
- Calories: 257
- Sugar: 11 g
- Sodium: 117 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 43 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 10 g
Keywords: veggie ball, vegan meatballs, Mandarin Sauce