This red lentil stew is reminiscent of the flavors of dal—packed with potatoes, turnips, carrots, red lentils, and flavorful herbs and spices, you can get this dish on the table in 45 minutes with a few pantry ingredients.
- 6 cups water
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 cube vegetable bouillon (gluten-free)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 4 small turnips, chopped
- 2 small red potatoes, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups red lentils, dried
- 1 ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Place water and tomatoes in a large pot and bring to a simmer.
- Add vegetable bullion cube, onion, celery, carrots, turnips, garlic, red lentils, smoked paprika, turmeric, and cumin. Stir well, cover, and cook over medium heat for about 30 minutes, until vegetables are just tender.
- May need to add additional water to replace water lost to evaporation. Should make a thick, hearty stew.
- Makes 8 servings (1 1/4 cups each).
Instant Pot Directions: Place all ingredients in the container of the InstantPot. Press “Bean/Chili” setting. Cook according to manufacturer’s directions. Serve immediately.
Slow Cooker Directions: Place all ingredients in the container of the Slow Cooker. Cook on high for 4-6 hours or on low for 8-12 hours. Cook according to manufacturer’s directions. Serve immediately.
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 150
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 103 mg
- Fat: 1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 31 g
- Fiber: 9 g
- Protein: 8 g
Keywords: best soup, best lentil soup, vegan lentil soup