- 1 (8-ounce) package tempeh
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14 oz. can of fire roasted, diced tomatoes (or 2 fresh diced tomatoes, Roma works well here)
- 1 fresh jalapeño, diced and seeded
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 3 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- A dash of liquid smoke (optional)
- ½ a lime (or more to taste)
- 1/8 c. Bragg’s Liquid Aminos (low sodium soy sauce works too)
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced (if it’s a small one, use the whole thing!)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 Tbsp. of water
- 8–10 Corn tortillas
- Guacamole, pico de gallo, hot sauce, cilantro, shredded purple cabbage, black olives, and lime wedges for serving
- Crumble tempeh into a large mixing bowl. Then, using a large spoon, mix in the minced garlic, tomatoes, jalapeño, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, lime juice and Bragg’s.
- Once your tempeh is completely mixed into the spices, mix in the diced onion and pepper. Then drizzle the 2 tablespoons of water into your mix while stirring your ingredients continuously. Taste a little bit of your tempeh and add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat cast-iron skillet or frying pan over medium heat. Once the pan is hot (a sprinkle of water should evaporate), toss in the tempeh mixture and dash liquid smoke. Flip your tempeh/vegetable mixture a few times so that it browns evenly. You’ll know it’s ready when your vegetables are tender and your tempeh has crispy edges. It should take about 10 minutes.
- While your tempeh is cooking, heat up your tortillas
- Once tortillas are warm, fill them with the tempeh and vegetable mixture.
- Serve with guacamole, salsa, hot sauce, cilantro, black olives, lime wedges and anything else you like on your tacos!
Lilly’s recipe is adapted from www.ohmyveggies.com