These vegan nachos are made with home-made tortilla chips, and topped with refried beans, jackfruit carnitas, cashew crema, and layers of colorful veggies, such as red cabbage, jalapeno peppers, cherry tomatoes, green onions, olives, cilantro, and avocados.
- 1 ½ cup raw cashews, soaked in water for 30 minutes*
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- About ½ cup plant-based milk, plain, unsweetened
- Salt (as desired, optional)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small jalapeno, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 14-ounce can jackfruit, unsweetened, drained
- ¼–1 teaspoon hot sauce (depending on your taste preference)
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 small limes, juiced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, gluten-free, reduced sodium
- Salt (as desired, optional)
Home-Made Tortilla Chips:
- 12 small street-size (4.5 inches) corn tortillas, sliced in quarters
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 15-ounce can vegetarian refried beans
- 1 cup shredded plant-based cheese
- ½ cups finely shredded red cabbage
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, sliced
- ¼ cup sliced black olives
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup prepared medium salsa
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 stalks green onions, sliced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Start by placing the raw cashews (for the cashew crema) in a dish, cover with water, and soak for at least 30 minutes.
- To make Jackfruit Carnitas: While cashews are soaking, prepare this step. Heat olive oil in a skillet and sauté onion, jalapeno, and garlic for 5 minutes. Add chili powder, cumin, and oregano and stir well. Drain the jackfruit, and separate into strands with your fingers. Add it to the skillet and cook for 2 minutes. Add hot sauce (adjust for your preference of spiciness), tomato paste, lime juice, and soy sauce. Continue to cook, breaking apart jack fruit with a fork, for an additional 4 minutes, until vegetables are soft, seasonings are well blended, and jackfruit is separated into strands. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Make Home-Made Tortilla Chips by evenly arranging the quartered small corn tortillas at the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking dish, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Drizzle with olive oil. Place in the top rack of the oven and bake for about 10 minutes, until tortillas start to crisp. Remove from the oven.
- Evenly layer the base toppings over the tortilla chips: spoonfuls of refried beans, spoonfuls of Jackfruit Carnitas, then shredded plant-based cheese.
- Place in the top shelf of the oven and bake uncovered at 400 F for 15-20 minutes, until heated through and golden.
- While nachos are baking, prepare and gather all remaining toppings and make Cashew Crema.
- To make Cashew Crema: After the cashews have softened for 30 minutes, drain off the water and add cashews, along with the lemon juice, garlic, and white pepper to a small blender container. Add ¼ cup of the plant-based milk, and process the cashew crema until smooth. Add additional plant-based milk as needed to create a smooth, creamy texture. If desired, season with a pinch of salt (optional). Transfer to a dish. (Makes about 2 ¼ cups).
- When nachos have finished baking in step 6, remove from oven and add the remaining toppings evenly over the surface: red cabbage, jalapeno peppers, black olives, avocado, cashew crema, salsa, cherry tomatoes, green onions, and cilantro.
- Serve immediately. Makes 8 servings.
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Mexican, American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 433
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 557 mg
- Fat: 21 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 54 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 12 g
Keywords: vegan nachos, jackfruit nachos, vegan jackfruit nachos