- 1 medium red onion, quartered
- 3 cloves garlic
- 5 soft dates (large), pitted
- ¼ cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes
- ½ cup fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch sea salt (optional)
- ¼ cup ground flax seeds
- ½ cup whole wheat breadcrumbs (may use gluten-free)
- ½ cup nut meal (i.e., almond meal, hazelnut meal, or peanut meal)
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- 2 15-ounce cans black-eyed peas, rinsed, drained (or 3 ½ cups cooked)
Tahini Lemon Sauce:
- In the container of a food processor, place red onion, garlic, dates, sun-dried tomatoes, parsley, fennel seeds, oregano, black pepper, and salt (optional). Process until finely chopped.
- Add flax seeds, breadcrumbs, nut flour, and lemon juice to food processor, and process until combined.
- Add black-eyed peas to food processor, and process just a few seconds until the peas are mashed, but not pureed.
- Remove mixture from food processor and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make Tahini Lemon Sauce by whisking together tahini with lemon juice, garlic, and black pepper. Add enough water to make a smooth sauce, according to your desired texture. (A thicker sauce is preferable served on the side with appetizer veggie balls, while a thinner sauce is preferable served on top of an entrée serving of veggie balls.) Sprinkle with smoked paprika.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Roll veggie balls into 24 golf-size balls with your hands, and place on a baking sheet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Place on top rack of the oven. Bake for 55-60 minutes, until veggie balls are cooked through and golden brown on surface.
- Serve with Tahini Lemon Sauce.
- Makes 6 servings (4 veggie balls + 2 tablespoons sauce each)
To make this recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free breadcrumbs.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Greek, Mediterranean, American
- Serving Size: 4 veggie balls + 2 tablespoons sauce each
- Calories: 338
- Sugar: 16 g
- Sodium: 553 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 50 g
- Fiber: 10 g
- Protein: 13 g
Keywords: greek veggie balls, veggie balls, vegan balls