You won’t believe that this ooey-gooey, fudgy Chocolate Zucchini Cake is loaded with shredded zucchini, nor that it is completely vegan. It is that good!
Chocolate Zucchini Cake:
- ½ cup aquafaba (reserved liquid from 1 15-oz can of beans)
- 1 cup coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- ½ cup dairy-free margarine, melted, cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup unflavored plant-based milk (i.e., soy, almond, coconut)
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup almond, coconut, or pecan meal
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup dairy-free dark chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free margarine, soft
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1–3 tablespoons plant-based milk
- Shaved or finely chopped dairy-free dark chocolate
- Fresh berries (i.e., strawberries, blueberries, raspberries)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Add aquafaba (bean liquid) to a large bowl with sugar, and use an electric mixer to whip until white and stiff (about 2-3 minutes).
- Gently stir in margarine, vanilla, plant-based milk, and vinegar.
- In a separate bowl, combine cocoa powder, flour, meal, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Gradually fold in the dry ingredients into the mixing bowl, gently stirring only to combine ingredients.
- Stir in zucchini and chocolate chips gently.
- Spray a baking dish (9 x 3 inch) with non-stick spray and pour batter into the dish, spreading evenly.
- Place in oven and bake for about 50 minutes, until fork inserted in center comes out clean. Makes a very moist, fudgey cake. Remove from oven and cool.
- To make frosting, use an electric mixer to whip margarine, vanilla, cocoa powder, powdered sugar, and plant-based milk 1 tablespoon at a time until you achieve desired texture of a thick, creamy, fluffy frosting. When cake is cool, frost surface. Garnish, as desired, with shaved or chopped dark chocolate and berries.
- Slice into 15 squares.
Learn how to make aquafaba here.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice of cake + frosting
- Calories: 331
- Sugar: 31 g
- Sodium: 207 mg
- Fat: 14 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 49 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan cake, vegan chocolate cake, chocolate zucchini cake