These hearty, plant-based (vegan) Lentil Patties with Basil Arugula Cashew Cream are so easy to whip up, but they impress with a range of nutrients.
- 1 cup small green lentils, dry
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 medium carrots, shredded finely
- 1 medium yellow potato, shredded finely
- 4 green onions, chopped finely
- ¼ cup arugula, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons basil, chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ cup old-fashioned oats, dry
- 1/3 cup whole grain bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Sea salt and black pepper (as desired)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Basil Arugula Cashew Cream:
- 1 cup basic cashew cream*
- 2 tablespoons fresh arugula
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- Place lentils in a small pot and add broth. Cover and simmer over medium heat about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until very tender.
- Drain any leftover liquid and transfer cooked lentils to a bowl and stir in chia seeds.
- Add carrots, potato, onions, arugula, basil, garlic, mustard, oats, bread crumbs, soy sauce and salt and pepper (optional) to taste. Stir well to make a thick mixture.
- Place 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet (cast iron works well). Heat well.
- Form patties by pressing a handful of the lentil mixture into a firm, think patty. Drop in skillet (4-5 per batch) and cook for 7 minutes on medium heat. Turn carefully and cook on the other side for 7 minutes. Repeat process, adding another tablespoon oil to pan, until all patties are cooked.
- To make Basil Arugula Cashew Cream: Prepare 1 cup cashew cream according to basic instructions* in the blender. Add fresh arugula and basil and process until smooth, creamy, and light green in color.
- Serve Lentil Patties with a dollop of Basil Arugula Cashew cream. Refrigerate any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Makes 10 patties.
Alternatively, you can omit the oil and bake the patties in the oven at 375 F for about 40 minutes, until golden brown and baked through.
To make this recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free bread crumbs and soy sauce.
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 275
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 223 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 32 g
- Fiber: 9 g
- Protein: 11 g
Keywords: lentil patties, vegan patties, best lentil patties