This classic, Vegetable Fajita recipe is inspired by Mexican food traditions; packed with zucchini, onions, mushrooms, bell peppers, and spices, serve it with beans and tortillas for a plant-based (vegan), gluten-free meal you can get on the table in 20 minutes.
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 small summer squash (zucchini or yellow squash)
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 (15-ounce) can (about 2 cups) red beans (i.e., pinto, cranberry, red, kidney)
- 8 small corn tortillas
- 1 cup prepared guacamole (or 1 avocado, sliced)
- 1 cup prepared salsa
- 1 cup plant-based sour cream (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet (cast iron works best).
- Add onion, bell pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, garlic, jalapeno and sauté for about 10 minutes, until just tender.
- Add lemon juice, cumin, chili powder, and stir well.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
- To serve, fill each plate with two warm corn tortillas, 1 3/4 cups vegetable fajita mixture, 1/2 cup beans, 1/4 cup guacamole (or 1/4 avocado slices), 1/4 cup salsa, and 1/4 cup plant-based sour cream (optional).
- Makes 4 servings, 2 filled tortillas per serving.
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Mexican, American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 385
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 660 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 63 g
- Fiber: 14 g
- Protein: 14 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: fajitas, vegetable, mexican food