The comforting marriage of butternut squash, Brussels sprouts and farro come together in this simple roasted, plant-based (vegan) recipe, which is wonderful for a rustic meal or your holiday table.
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, cubed
- 1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage (or dried)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and black pepper, as desired
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped pecans
- Bring broth to boil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add farro, cover, and simmer for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until just tender. Do not overcook. Replace moisture lost to evaporation with additional liquid, if needed. Drain any leftover broth from farro and set aside.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 F.
- Place butternut squash and Brussels sprouts in a large baking dish (9 × 13 “).
- Mix balsamic vinegar, olive oil, mustard, sage, garlic, salt, black pepper together in a small dish.
- Toss vinaigrette into vegetables with tongs to distribute ingredients.
- Place baking dish on the top shelf of the oven. Cook for about 30 minutes, until vegetables are barely tender, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Remove the baking dish of vegetables from the oven, toss in cooked farro, and sprinkle with pecans. Return to oven and cook for an additional 10 minutes, uncovered, until golden brown and tender.
- Serve immediately.
- Makes 6 servings
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 271
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 53 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 45 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 6 g
Keywords: butternut squash, brussels sprouts, vegan squash recipe