- 1 small Persian cucumber (see Notes)
- 1 small yellow summer squash (e.g., straightneck)
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 medium carrot
- 4 large spears asparagus
- 2 medium radishes
- ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- ½ teaspoon lime zest
- 1/2 teaspoon agave nectar
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- Pinch of white pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 ½ teaspoons sesame seeds
- Without peeling, clean and trim the cucumber, squash, zucchini, carrot, asparagus, and radishes (see Notes), then use a vegetable peeler or mandolin to create long, thin ribbons.
- Place vegetable ribbons on a plate covered with paper towels to remove excess liquid; after a few minutes, transfer them to a salad bowl.
- In a small dish, make the vinaigrette by whisking together the olive oil, lime juice, lime zest, agave nectar, mustard, and white pepper.
- Add the vinaigrette to the ribbons and toss gently with a fork, just to distribute it well.
- Sprinkle with the chives and sesame seeds and serve immediately.
Petite, sweet and tender Persian cucumbers are perfect for a ribbon salad. If you can’t find those, substitute half of a small English cucumber.
The seedy inner cores of the summer squash and zucchini, as well as any centers of the other vegetables you find difficult to peel into ribbons, may be saved and added to a soup or stir-fry later. Make this recipe immediately before serving and cut it in half if you’re planning a meal for two; this delicate salad does not store well.
*Star nutrients: folate (11% DV), vitamin A (56% DV), vitamin C (29% DV), manganese (11% DV), potassium (10% DV)
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 70
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 30 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 7 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 2 g