I’m really excited to partner with American Pistachio Growers to bring you this fabulous giveaway. Just in time for Heart Health Month in February and National Pistachio Day on February 26, you can celebrate the benefits of eating a diet rich in lean protein sources, whole grains, vegetables, fruits, nuts (yeah pistachios!), and seeds. Healthy plant fats, from sources such as olives, avocados, seeds, and nuts—including pistachios, can help reduce the risk of heart disease.
I’m a hug fan of pistachios. These plant gems offer a nice dose of plant protein, a healthy fat profile of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, plenty of fiber; heart healthy nutrients, like magnesium, potassium, and vitamin E; and a powerful kick of phytochemicals with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, such as polyphenols, lutein and zeaxanthin. Just 1 ounce of pistachios (49 nuts!) provides only 160 calories and 1.5 grams of saturated fat. That wonderful nutritional profile explains why studies have shown that pistachios can protect heart health by reducing oxidative damage and improving healthy cholesterol levels (J Nutr, 2010).
So, go ahead and get nutty!
Include a handful (about 1 – 1.5 ounces) of pistachios in your diet every day to help protect your heart. It’s easy; pistachios are so nutritious, and delicious they can fit into your diet in myriad ways. Here are some great tips for powering up on pistachios for heart health.
Here are some of my favorite ways to include heart healthy American pistachios in your daily diet.
- Sprinkle pistachios over your morning breakfast cereal.
- Snack on pistachios as the perfect between meal snack, complete with its own natural “packaging” (the shells)!
- Toss pistachios into your garden salad for lunch or dinner.
- Sprinkle chopped pistachios over pasta, casseroles, and grain dishes.
- Stir chopped pistachios into your favorite baked recipes, such as cookies, waffles, muffins, and cakes.
- Whiz up pistachios into your fruit and veggie smoothie.
This giveaway includes this amazing prize:
- Pistachio Gift Pack: Gym bag, water bottle, T-shirt, coasters, and more
So, get ready to enter for a chance to win a fabulous package of prizes from American Pistachio Growers! This giveaway is so easy to enter. Just complete the Rafflecopter entry below and follow the instructions. The contest starts today and ends on February 18, 2018. Good luck!
Yields 2 large entrée servings or 4 small side-dish servings
This exotic, golden yellow rice bowl—topped with plant-powered pistachios, chickpeas, spinach, avocado, and dried cranberries—is packed with healthful nutrients, as well as bold flavor. Just cook up the flavorful rice, and add the toppings right before eating it. You can also meal prep this recipe and create ready to go meals for lunch or dinner in the refrigerator.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 cube vegetable bullion
- 1 teaspoon agave syrup
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 1 cup pistachios, shelled
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- Extra virgin olive oil (if desired)
- To Prepare Turmeric Rice: Heat olive oil in a medium pot. Add rice, ginger, garlic, turmeric, and black pepper and sauté for 2 minutes. Add water, vegetable bullion, and agave syrup. Stir well, cover, and cook over medium heat—stirring occasionally to prevent from sticking—for about 40 minutes, until just tender, but not mushy. Stir in lemon juice and remove from heat.
- To Prepare Bowls: Divide turmeric rice into bowls (2 for large servings, or 4 for small servings). Divide the toppings among the servings (2 or 4) and arrange on top of the rice: chickpeas, pistachios, dried cranberries, avocado slices, and spinach. Top with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil if desired.
Nutrition information per ¼ serving: 442 calories, 24 g total fat, 3 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 26 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 11 g fiber, 14 g sugar, 13 g protein
Note: This giveaway is sponsored by the American Pistachio Growers.