This recipe was originally developed by Dr. John Westerdahl, PhD, MPH, RDN, FAND and his Chef at Adventist Health Castle Medical Center in Kailua, Hawaii. The recipe was later shared Loma Linda University Food Service where they became popular. When Oprah Winfrey did her special television program on the Loma Linda Blue Zone, she included the original recipe on her website.
- 10 oz firm tofu, drained and mashed thoroughly
- 4 cups brown sugar or coconut sugar (For a less sugar and lower calorie option, use 2 cups brown/coconut sugar and 2 cups Stevia in the Raw® Baker’s Bag formula)
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 4 cups raw walnuts, chopped
- 2 Tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350oF (175oC).
- Mix all ingredients in bowl thoroughly, adding walnuts last.
- Lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray or oil and flour the pan.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan, smoothing the top out evenly.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until cooked throughout.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.