This classic, plant-based (vegan) recipe for home-made tomato soup calls upon only 5 ingredients.
- Heat olive oil in a medium heavy pot.
- Add onions and garlic and sauté over medium for 9 minutes.
- Stir in flour.
- Mix in tomatoes, broth, sugar, and thyme. Season with black pepper and salt to taste.
- Cover and simmer over medium for 40 minutes.
- Place small batches of soup into a blender container and blend until smooth, yet lumpy. Return to pot and reheat if necessary.
- Serve immediately.
Instant Pot Directions: Place all ingredients in the container of the Instant Pot. Press “Soup/Broth” setting. Cook according to manufacturer’s directions. Follow steps 6-7 as indicated above.
Slow cooker Directions: Place all ingredients in the container of the Slow cooker. Cook on high for 4-6 hours or on low for 8-12 hours. Cook according to manufacturer’s directions. Follow steps 6-7 as indicated above.
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 57
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 340 mg
- Fat: 3 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 8 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 1 g
Keywords: soup, tomato soup