These whole grain, plant-based Coconut Cinnamon Rolls are packed with aroma and flavor, with very little added sugar and fat in the recipe, too.
- 1 cup coconut milk beverage (do not use canned coconut milk; use coconut milk beverage)
- 1 tablespoon coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 package instant yeast
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted, cooled slightly
- 1 cup coconut flour (or another nut meal/flour, such as almond flour or peanut meal)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour (may substitute half enriched flour, if desired)
- 2 tablespoons melted dairy-free margarine
- 1/3 cup dried shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk beverage
- Heat up coconut milk in microwave until lukewarm (about 110 F; should feel warm but not hot to your wrist). Add to a mixing bowl.
- Stir in sugar and sprinkle with yeast. Let stand for 10 minutes (should start to bubble on the surface).
- Mix in coconut oil.
- Add coconut flour and mix well.
- Add salt and remaining flour, ½ cup at a time, until you get a nice dough that is cohesive but not overly dry.
- Turn dough out on a very lightly floured surface and knead for 2 minutes.
- Oil a medium bowl and place dough in it, with a towel over it, and let rise in a warm place (an oven at about 80 is a great place) until doubled in size (about one hour).
- Punch down bread and remove from pan. Place on the lightly floured surface and roll out to a large rectangle in shape.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spread margarine evenly over surface. Then sprinkle evenly with coconut, sugar, and cinnamon.
- Roll the dough like a burrito from the longer side of the rectangle, squeezing tightly.
- Cut into 1 1/2 – 2 inch slices to make 12 rolls.
- Spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange rolls in baking dish. Optional: may dust with additional cinnamon, sugar, and diced coconut.
- Place in warm oven and allow to rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes, until golden and cooked through.
- Optional: Make a thin glaze by mixing powdered sugar and coconut milk together. While rolls are warm, drizzle with glaze.
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 roll
- Calories: 211
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 61 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Saturated Fat: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 28 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 5 g
Keywords: cinnamon rolls, vegan cinnamon rolls