A cool, silky, nutritious smoothie—poured in a bowl and adorned with flavorful toppings—what’s not to love about the smoothie bowl trend? It’s the perfect light breakfast, lunch, or snack. This vegan, gluten-free smoothie bowl calls upon a blend of sweet watermelon and spicy ginger, as well as cashews to give it a creaminess. The nutrient-rich toppings—chia, hemp, coconut, and parsley—give it a health and flavor boost, too.
Yields 2 servings
- ½ cup cashews
- 2 cups watermelon, diced, chilled
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- Place cashews in a dish and cover with water. Soak for 1 hour, then drain.
- Place cashews, watermelon, lemon juice, and ginger in a blender and process until smooth.
- Pour smoothie into two bowls.
- Garnish each bowl with 1 teaspoon chia seeds, 1 teaspoon hemp seeds, 1 tablespoon coconut, and 1 teaspoon parsley.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrients Per Serving: 310 calories, 8 g protein, 26 g carbohydrate, 22 g fat, 6 g saturated fat, 5 g fiber, 12 g sugar, 19 mg sodium
Recipe and images by Sharon Palmer, RDN