Are you in love with the smashed avocado toast trend? I know I am. And it doesn’t hurt that I have a 50-year old Fuerte avocado tree growing in my front yard, which supplies me with hundreds of avocados every year (don’t hate me!). My son Nicholas is home from college and he’s obsessed with our fresh avocados after spending a year in Colorado. We have truly mastered the art of a really simple avocado toast that you can then build upon with additional toppings. We love to serve this on toasted rosemary ciabatta we get from our farmers market.
As we made avocado toast today, I picked a dill flower from my garden to adorn the toast and placed it on the vintage wood bench by my vegetable garden. A volunteer scallop squash vine just happened to photo bomb this picture, as it wrapped it’s tendrils around my bench. And that’s just how avocado toast should be enjoyed—simple, rustic, deliciousness at it’s earthy best—with a little kick of the unexpected if you so desire it!
Plant-Powered Avocado Toast Toppings
Follow the recipe below for basic avocado toast, and check out these plant-powered toppings (as many or as few as you like) to add a kick of pizzazz to your avocado toast.
- Watermelon radish slices
- Shaved cauliflower (raw or roasted)
- Lemon-marinated chopped kale
- Heirloom tomato slices
- Field or wild greens (mache, mesclun, sorrel, dandelion or purslane)
- Fresh basil leaves
- Kalamata olives
- Fresh cilantro
- Roasted red peppers
- Edible flowers (pansies, nasturtium, rose petals)
- Sriracha sauce
- Smoked paprika
- Baked tofu
- Roasted eggplant
- Curried chickpeas
- Sliced strawberries
- Mango slices
- Hemp seeds
Yields 2 servings (2 slices each)
- 4 slices rustic bread (i.e. ciabatta, Italian, whole grain)
- 1 large ripe avocado (must be ripe)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Sea salt (to taste, optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Toast sliced bread in a toaster oven or top rack of the oven (400 F) until light golden and crunchy (about 5 minutes).
- Split avocado in half and remove pit. Scoop out center of each avocado half with a spoon and place it in a small bowl.
- Mash the avocado with a fork and add garlic, lemon juice, salt (optional), and freshly ground black pepper and combine well.
- Spread the avocado (dividing evenly) on slices of toast, sprinkle with additional sea salt and black pepper if desired.
- Add suggested toppings if desired.
Nutrition information per serving: 224 calories, 12 g total fat, 2 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 239 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 1 g sugar, 5 g protein