Get a bit more exotic with your bruschetta by changing up the colors and flavors! This bruschetta is inspired by the purple basil growing in my garden, as well as my yellow and red heirloom cherry tomatoes. You can find purple basil at your farmers market, or you can easily grow it yourself.
Yields 2 1/4 cups
- 2 cups diced, ripe multi-colored heirloom tomatoes (i.e, red, yellow, green, black)
- ¼ cup diced white onion 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons diced fresh purple basil
- Salt and pepper (as desired)
- Toss together all ingredients and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Serve at room temperature as an accompaniment for toasted bread (or grilled vegetables, whole grains, or simmered beans).