When fresh cranberries are in season, I go crazy! There are so many ways you can brighten up your day with these tart, crisp berries. Take this hearty steel cut oats breakfast, which includes simmered cranberries, pears, spices, pecans and chia seeds. Make a big pot and enjoy it over the next few days warmed up, with a splash of your favorite plant-based milk, for a healthy breakfast on the run.
Yields 4 servings
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 large pear, with peel, dice
- 1 ½ cups fresh cranberries
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Place water in a medium pot and bring water to a boil.
- Stir in all ingredients. Turn heat to medium, and cook for 30-35 minutes, until it achieves desired texture, stirring frequently.
Store leftover servings in an airtight container in the refrigerator and reheat in the microwave or over the stove as needed. For best storage results, reserve pecans to add after heating to avoid sogginess.
Nutrients Per Serving: 550 calories, 10 g protein, 56 g carbohydrates, 35 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 15 g sugar, 11 mg sodium