You’ll find this classic staple based on seasonal, ripe tomatoes served in most restaurants in Italy as an appetizer with toasted rustic bread. But it’s so easy to make at home. And if you have an abundance of summer tomatoes on hand from your garden or the farmers market, this is the perfect summertime dish to make the most of those rich, juicy tomatoes.
Yields 2 ¼ cups
- 2 cups diced, ripe tomatoes
- ¼ cup diced white onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon basil
- Salt and pepper (as desired)
- Toss together all ingredients and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Serve at room temperature as an accompaniment for toasted bread (or veggie burgers, pasta, or a nut loaf).